How to Cite a Settlement Agreement Bluebook
When it comes to citing a settlement agreement in legal writing, the Bluebook is the go-to citation guide for attorneys and law students. The Bluebook provides a standardized way of citing legal documents, ensuring that citations are consistent and accurate across all written materials.
To start, it is important to note that settlement agreements can vary in structure and content. Some settlement agreements may include a confidentiality provision, while others may not. Some may be structured as a single agreement, while others may involve multiple documents.
When citing a settlement agreement in Bluebook format, the following elements should be included:
1. Parties: Begin by listing the names of the parties involved in the settlement agreement. If there are multiple parties, separate them with a semicolon.
2. Agreement title: If the settlement agreement has a title, include it in italics after the parties.
3. Date: Include the date that the settlement agreement was executed. If the date is not available, use the date that the agreement was signed or delivered.
4. Jurisdiction: Indicate the jurisdiction in which the settlement agreement was executed.
5. Document location: Provide the citation to the location of the settlement agreement. This may include a docket number, case number, or other identifying information.
For example, a settlement agreement citation in Bluebook format might look like this:
Parties: Jones v. Smith; ABC Corp. and XYZ Corp.
Agreement title: Settlement Agreement and Mutual Release
Date: April 1, 2020
Jurisdiction: Southern District of New York
Document location: Case No. 1:20-cv-12345 (S.D.N.Y. Apr. 1, 2020)
If the settlement agreement is not publicly available, you may need to rely on internal citations in your legal writing. In this case, it is important to include enough identifying information to allow readers to locate the document if necessary.
Finally, it is important to note that some law schools and journals may have their own formatting requirements for citing settlement agreements. Always check the specific guidelines for your assignment or publication to ensure that your citation is in compliance.